Monday, March 5, 2012

Swim Themed Book Club!


Me in 5+ years....

Book clubs are not for middle aged women who watch "The Bachelor" and have an abundance of stray cats in a teeny apartment. And yet, I regularly watch "The Bachelor" (Courtney doesn't deserve Ben and yet I hate Ben too...) and I own 3 cats in a teeny apartment. I am also in a "couples" book club in Brooklyn. Make your own assumptions about me, if you want.

I'd like to start a swimming-themed book club. I asked around on Twitter and I have 4 people interested. Who else? Coaches? Athletes? My fear is that we will run out of good swimming books to read after about Month One (there seems to be about one or two "good" swimming books in the mass media... then I'm just not sure...) 

Anyway, if you want to be part of this, find me on Twitter (MikeLGustafson) or write a message below with your contact information.  We'll figure out a way to discuss the book some way. Maybe via an email chain. Maybe via another post on SwimBrief where we write in comments. Maybe via carrier pigeon. I just don't know. 

14 comments:

  1. 50 Meter Jungle by Sherman Chavoor is a classic

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm in. caroline@piranhaaquatics.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in too. eve.julian@gmail.com

    "Gold in the Water" was really good. Or how about some coaching or psychology related books like "The Talent Code","Blink", etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw you tweeting about this, love the idea. Seems like part of the fun will be digging up more good swimming books. Maybe even non-swimming books that have swimming as a piece of them. Maybe expand into documentaries if books run out.

    Besides, wouldn't "bad" swimming books be just as much fun as "good" swimming books?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goal would be each member of the book club gets to choose a swimming-related book. That way, collectively, the group will be exposed to different ideas -- coaching books, technique books, nonfiction biographies, or really, really terrible Young Adult literature about swimming. Anything goes. So I definitely agree with you Braden -- "bad" swimming books would be hilariously awesome.

    It's not even a book, but David Sedaris' latest New Yorker essay about swimming could be something. It's only an article, but it was hilarious and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in!

    benjamin.herrman@gmail.com
    @hcaquatics

    Also, we could use a hashtag if we want to discuss our books on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hard part is going to be, how do we pass the wine when we're all over the world? ;) I'll send you my email on Twitter, Gus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so in but can we start with some swim basics for those of us who are long distance swimmers and need counters. I'm thinking "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish" would be a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joel, Dr Seuss may be a bit too complex. Chlorine has ravaged all of our brains by now; we're not looking for James Joyce-esque literature...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay...if not One Fish then "Swim the Fly - Three boys, one summertime goal: to see a real-live girl naked." At least maybe Lisa' kids can read it for us.

    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/swim-the-fly-don-calame/1100306086

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in. rem5026@psu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Count me in, too. vicki.terlap@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forgot to reply to this earlier, but it sounds like a great idea. I'm in. lucasedf@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just finished "Generation iY" by Tim Elmore. Highly recommend.

    http://www.amazon.com/Generation-iY-Chance-Their-Future/dp/0578063557/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331734891&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete