Thursday, June 23, 2011

Swim Brief Blogger Contest: Lisa Stephens

Earlier this week, we announced a contest to replace Gu...I mean add another blogger to the Swim Brief mix. Applications have been pouring in. We've decided to give some of these bloggers a try at writing for the site as a "tryout". This is the first blog we received, from Lisa Stephens:




Stories From the Stands:  A Fan's Perspective

It's not easy being a swim fan.  Most of the world concerns themselves with athletes chasing balls.  They talk about people like Lebron James, Albert Pujols and Rory Mcllroy. You watch Sports Center nightly and while it's productive and it gets the job done there's hardly ever any swimming so it doesn't have the full effect that you had been hoping for.  Kind of like your 'first time.'  (BTW, if you're a man you may not understand this reference but if you're a woman--c'mon--give me a high five.) You walk into a sports bar and there's 5,658 tv's and not ONE of them is showing the Grand Prix.  You have a stash of ready-to-go witty retorts to people's frequent ignorant comments like, "swimming's boring,"  "I thought that people only did that for the Olympics" and "dude,  that's so gay."

You spend an inordinate amount of time on your computer reading blogs, watching videos, chatting with online friends with similar concerns that wake them up in the middle of the night in cold sweats too ("is -insert name- training hard enough?"....was -insert name-just a suit swimmer?")  and your family and friends worry because they think you're a pedophile until they realize what you're doing online and then they worry a just a teeny, tiny bit less.

You are passionate.  You have your shirt that says "Swimming is the ONLY sport:  Everything else is just a game" and you believe it with every fiber of your being.  You will talk to anyone around you who is semi-conscious about swimming and if they're brain stem isn't functioning you still say to them, "when you're feeling better remind me to tell you about those splits...it was SICK."   It's like a job to disseminate your passion and knowledge.  You're like a community organizer, cheerleader and Julian Assange all rolled into one.

You spend more money than you should to go to meets.  The smell of chlorine turns you on.  It doesn't even matter that they don't serve beer because  the local swim team is selling Tootsie Rolls and room temperature water and you care more about the little kids in their stretched-out Speedos than the cold beer  (there are exceptions, I know, and we can discuss those.)  You find the athletes are approachable and funny (and if they're not it might be because they're on their way to swim a 400IM and it just might not be a good time)* and when Phelps gets on the block and flaps his arms the sound reverberates through the aquatic center and straight through you to your soul.  

*swim fan etiquette as a future blog 

In my humble opinion, the swim fan hasn't got the props they deserve yet.  I may be biased, but I think we're fascinating and we're all smokin' hot.  Some other swim-fan topics worth writing about may include, "Ryan Lochte's attractiveness:  An anthropological study,"  "What is Universal Sports and who do I have to sleep with to get my cable/satellite provider to offer it?" and "I've been in these stands for 3 days sitting on 4 USA Swimming cushions and my ass still hurts."  Yes, it's a story whose time has come.  Let it be heard.

25 comments:

  1. As someone who just stealth-ly turned on the lobby TV at work to the Today show to watch Phelps' talk for 7.34 minutes... I've thought about all of this before. I also may have to been too anxious to jump the gun when I saw this link on twitter and immediately clicked on it within seconds of it being posted because I was intrigued (see: excited that someone actually wrote a blog from a fan standpoint).

    In any case. I can relate. We've all been there. Great blog, I hope there is more coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much,Anon!!! I appreciate the Swim Brief guys putting their credibility on the line and posting my entry. If it makes you feel any better... I threw bacon strips at my kids during the interview like they were dogs so I wouldn't be distracted. You're not alone. ((Big Swim Fan Hug))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fantastic, I found myself a few times with tears in my eyes laughing. As a swim fan, I relate to all of this. and I think we need more of you Ms. Stephens. This was smart, witty and funny., KUDOS

    ps.. they need better seat cushions for those meets, it took a month for my butt to go back to normal.

    pss- I get asked often why I follow swimming, why I sit on my computer when a grand prix is on.. Are we are like the girl in the movie Swimfan (AND NOO) Its hard for some people to understand that we follow the sport for more than just the speedos. My answer is always the same: why do you watch football, baseball, hockey, basketball, golf- because you enjoy it. Why do you travel to big games, because you enjoy it.
    I go to meets because I enjoy it; I have met some outstanding people athletes, coaches and fans. The friends have met because of swimming are more like family and I am so happy to have them in my life.. so I think I get more out of the sport I love, than the fans of those other sports..

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...when Phelps gets on the block and flaps his arms the sound reverberates through the aquatic center and straight through you to your soul" YES. Great to see you writing here, Lisa! I'm looking forward to the swim fan etiquette piece too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa- You nailed this! SO TRUE on all levels. I really hope you're featured more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, Lisa did not include the picture from Swim Fan you see at the top. I put that in because we like to have a photo at the top of our blogs. Now i feel kind of bad.

    Now that we all of a sudden have female commenters, can I ask for some help? I am trying to make our college swim meets more fun for my wife to watch. Any suggestions? Right now I am just relying on giving her back rubs after the meet but I'm not doing much to make the actual meet more fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb. Lisa, if they don't give you a steady job here, then get your own blog, please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, ladies! Should I be given the opportunity to write again for this esteemed publication you have given me some great ideas. See? Swim fans are The Bomb. It's empirically proven.

    Chris, I understand your challenge. I have some of the same issues with my husband. Maybe they can form a support group? Since that may not be realistic due to logistics I do suggest continuing the back rubs. I'm assuming your coaching during these meets? Let me think about it. In the meantime, don't stop the back rubs and be sure to REALLY focus on the lower-back. That area really takes a hit. I'll get back to you with some ideas........probably in a non-public forum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We understand when the elite athletes do not want to be bothered BEFORE an event or even during the meet. But, when kids are told that Phelps will take pictures at the end of the meet and then sneaks out the back door - that's bullshit! (We came back to finals and hung around a good 45 minutes after the meet was finished).

    Matt Grevers became the hero to many swimmers at this particular meet. He walked the deck every couple of hours signing autographs and taking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at a meet and Katie Hoff made three little girls cry. She was signing autographs poolside (there weren't that many people in line and there were just three left and she walked away and went and sat on the stands. (she wasn't swimming that night- no excuse) Fred Bousquet walked over and talked to the girls, signed things and took pics with them. whole new respect for him.. and I was shocked by Hoff.. not a fan of hers after that

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is definitely something I will write about if I get the chance. I'm sorry your kids were disappointed. Nothing worse than a disappointed kid. I have 3 disappointed kids on a daily basis. I understand the stress.

    Phelps and fans is almost a separate topic from Swim Fan Etiquette (and an emotional and controversial one at that.)

    Your point is well-taken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I just chime in and say I'm really jealous? Where are all of you when I write my blogs? I've got to go back to the drawing board.

    I feel like this autograph topic cuts across all sports and activities with fame involved. I am always a little wary to generalize about the swimmers based off one interaction. I mean, that day Katie Hoff may have really disappointed some little girls, and Fred Bousquet saved the day. But who's to say it isn't the reverse on another day? That said, it does seem that the swimmers who go to international stardom in their college years or older are a little more equipped to handle the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Rokur! Enjoy your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phelps who?

    Matt Grevers rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great read, Lisa! Somehow, I can tell that there's a LOT more where that came from. Hope to see more of your musings here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chris- It's not that us Swim Fans do not love your blog... it's just different (this isn't a good excuse, haha) when we have one of our own to comment from the horrible, uncomfortable, metal stands! It's nice to relate with someone who might not also fully understand the grasp of the technicalities involved in a swim practice, or what the heck Lactic Acid actually measures... :)

    In more related news, I do agree with you about athletes having a bad day if you will. I've had to tell myself that a few times while watching. It's happened to the best of us, just we haven't had to deal with it in the public eye I guess. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The metal stands?......good god.......the ones with the sharp metal blade runing underneath? Oy....don't EVEN get me started.......

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, and we really need to get you to Atlanta for Winter Nationals and/or Duel in the Pool this year, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chris, maybe if your wife knew something of the swimmers' personal stories, she would feel more connected. With the Olympians, we all know (or think we know) something about them that we've heard in the media, or read on Twitter. They have that personal "hook." If she gets to know your swimmers outside the pool, she might feel more invested in their performance at meets. Does your team ever get together for dinner or just to hang out, where that could happen?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Robin: I am assuming this gig (should I be lucky enough to continue) comes with all-expense paid travel to all major swim meets and that the said amount leaves room for a generous bar bill. But in all seriousness, I would be great to blog as a fan from a meet! :) A dream, really!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lisa you need a press pass! You can ask all the questions we all want to know and the reporters don't ask.

    I love what you wrote about trying to explain to non swimming fans why swimming is such an awesome sport to watch. I can't wait for the Olympics to prove it to them all over again. How can people forget about this sport every 4 years? I don't get it.

    Please write more! Your comments are always hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Kris! I doubt I'll ever get a press pass but I'm grateful these schmucks have given me a forum to have our swim fan voices heard. I think they are already regretting it which means I've already accomplished some of what I've set out to do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is really interesting, Lisa! I have to be honest that I thought swim fans were only made up of swimmers and their families. So are you saying you don't have any family members who swim who got you hooked? How'd you get hooked on swimming to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Rebecca! No, there definitely are fans who never swam competitively nor did they have family members who did. (I know Gus is still trying to get his head around this as well so don't worry, you're not alone.) To answer your question, I've always been a fan of the Olympics and my husband introduced me to swimming many years ago (he swam competitively as a kid but stopped in high school because his school didn't have a swim team.) It wasn't until Athens that I got "hooked." I have three daughters that are all swimmers. Although I don't come from a "swim family" I have created my own.

    Thanks for your comment! Hope to explain more at a later time! :)

    ReplyDelete