Wednesday, July 6, 2011

One Woman's Quest for Olympic Tickets: An Epic Fail

This is the story of a fan.  A fan that had dreams.  Dreams that were recently shattered by the forces that control the 2012 Olympic ticketing process.  The fan is me.  The story is mine.  The pain is real.

I mean, I had it all worked out .  It was going to be awesome. I have spent YEARS racking up travel points on my Visa card.  It's, like, my job.  I mean, Visa is an official sponsor of the Olympic Games so it's actually charity, right?  Those Stuart Weitzman shoes I purchased but never wore- because I never go anywhere requiring anything other than flip flops in the summer and UGGS in the winter-that was charity.  That bounce house I bought for my daughters?  You thought that was so they would have something fun and constructive to do?  Ha!  Do you know how much that thing cost?  Used the Visa!  More charity!  I racked up so many points I had me and hubby flying for free (blackouts not withstanding) business class to London.  It was a total win-win both for myself and the USOC.

Place to stay?  Done!  My brother-from-another-mother (henceforth, known as BFAM) is British.  He has a place in Surrey.  Sure, it might have been difficult to get in and out of the city of London but that's okay!  I would have queued and waited like generations of Brits have done for chocolate, meat, nylon stockings and decent television programming.  I was looking forward to it;  like my own small little nod to British culture.  Those people line up for everything.....good lord.

So now all I needed were my tickets, right?  I set up my account with CoSport.  The date finally came when I was able to apply for tickets.  I applied for just about every swimming prelim and final but because of the exchange rate I had to keep it on the low-end.  I checked my boxes (or "ticked" as the Brits would say) and hit the return button.  This was it.  Okay, obviously I wouldn't get tickets to everything I wanted.  But I was going to get tickets to something.  What would it be?  The women's 200 breast final?  That would be so exciting to watch Soni get a gold medal.  Maybe the men's 200IM? Maybe one of the relays?  So exciting!  Go Team USA!  My BFAM also applied for tickets on his end over in the UK.   

There were rumblings about sites crashing all over the world.  The British press was especially vocal about how "many people were going to be disappointed."  But I had applications on 2 continents!  Statistically, I was sooooo ahead of the game. Then the email came from CoSport.  It went something like this, I think.  "Dear Swim Fan:  We're so sorry.  You got jack @*&#.  We are reserving almost half the seats in the aquatic centre for VIPs so we're down to about 8,500 tickets for you peasants and we're so sorry you are not one of them.   You have nothing.  You are nothing. We will release unsold tickets at a later date to fantastic events like the prelims of the Toliet Paper Toss in Hyde Park if you're interested." Love, Sir Sebastian Coe.

My BFAM did get tickets... I think for the gymnastics with the twirly things.  He's the only person on the planet that I'm aware of that got anything.  A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.  So as I continue working through my Kubler-Ross stages of grieving I continue my charity work through my Visa usage.  My latest donation to the Olympic cause will probably occur next week in Coach at the outlet mall because I'm selfless like that and I'll do anything to support Team USA....Olympic tickets or not.

5 comments:

  1. The swimming is just sooo hard to get. My girlfriend and I applied for 30 sessions in the main draw in the UK and got only once session. In the sound round UK we got some morning athletics.

    CoSport Australia I picked up some Badmington and Table Tennis.

    Last night via ICELAND of all places I picked up Basketball final tickets. They had swimming 2 but by the time i heard of it they were all gone. Good luck in your search :). I am going to keep trying

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I understand, residents of the EU can apply for tickets in any EU country which should, obviously, increase odds. I'm happy you got tickets to some events-the basketball final is a fantastic 'get.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't get any ticket either after going througt a lot of hussle because i don't have a visa card ; i had to open a virtual account with visas .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, was excited to try and get a mix of tickets when the first round of LIVE ticket sales came online. I logged into my CoSport account at noon eastern time (the start time) ready to spend some serious dough. When I finally got through the crashing website at 12:08, it said that ALL tickets for ALL sessions for ALL sports were sold out. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew of someone who only had Discover and Amex. She was ---- out of luck. Honestly, who I really feel for are the Brits. When London was given the games there was a lot made about it being "for the people" and (someone from the UK can correct me if I'm wrong) but I think some of this was paid for out of their tax. People played it like the lotto, I read of one guy who applied for 40,000 quid worth of tickets and he got a few events but most people aren't/can't play that way. Demand was high...that's a good thing....but I'm not finished with this story.

    ReplyDelete