Friday, July 8, 2011

The Secrets We Keep


A few weeks ago I went to my grandfathers funeral. Before you get too weepy, recognize two facts: first, my grandfather lived a long, productive life. He died at 94 and had only been retired for a couple years. The second thing  is that I barely knew him. On his funeral I counted the times I had met him: four. But this post isn't a eulogy to my grandfather. It's about what I discovered afterward at the airport with my parents. My grandfather had been secretly married. He had kept it a secret for six years and denied it on his death bed
The funeral got me thinking about how powerful the secrets we keep are. There has always been a vein in my family of people keeping secrets. From the outside- it seems patently ridiculous that he would keep such a secret. No one in the family would have thought less of him if he just told them. For whatever reason, he was embarrassed and took pains to avoid any discussion right up to his death.

The greatest problem facing the swimming community right now is undoubtedly sexual abuse by coaches. Secrecy has fed and continues to feed this problem. Everybody keeps secrets. Most do not go to the extremes my grandfather went. Coaches are keeping secret about what they've done. Their reasons are manifest- some may feel guilty but others simply don't think they've done anything wrong but know enough that others wouldn't agree.

Those aren't the really powerful secrets are. Sexual abuse is an insidious crime because it is so personal that it shames the victim. There is so much that compels victims to keep secret what has happened to them. I would venture to say that nearly everyone in the swimming community has heard whispers about a local coach and his inappropriate behavior. We'd all like to believe that if we had the first hand knowledge we would do the right thing. The sad fact is that we often don't.

While USA Swimming has made some changes in the last couple years in response to media pressure, I think they have to do far more. There must be a concerted effort to encourage swimmers, parents and coaches to break the silence. They are still far too concerned with making sure that no one blames them for what happened. Their energy should be committed to outreach and reconciliation. I would much rather see USA Swimming partnering with an actual victim of sex abuse in swimming than some stuffed shirt organization. This is just one example of how USA Swimming can tell victims that "we are fighting for you" and not "we are fighting to cover our own ass".

6 comments:

  1. IF I had facts, I would tell or help an abused swimmer. But there are so many vague stories and history.
    People (coaches & officials) got away with some really bad - no make that atrocious behavior. Those swimmers should speak out if only to work to stop future abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The solution to this problem is so simple hat it befuddles me as to why USA Swimming will not make a simple policy of no "one-on-ones", and include a parent or two at every practice.

    David Berkoff ran on that platform for a USA Swimming position; (A platform I believe he copy/pasted from my blog to which I did not care), and immediately backpedaled after he tasted that Colorado Springs water.

    As for the victims. They are too scared; I mean if a swimmer who complains directly to the CEO of USA Swimming and the CEO does nothing, why complain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bingo! It seems to me that the people who can effect change are guarding somebodies secrets so theirs won't be exposed.

    Kind of like dominoes - when one falls, they'll all fall.

    Unfortunately, alot of parents do not care about bad treatment towards other kids as long as their kids are being treated good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was 18 or 19, I hurt my arm in a bike accident and went to the ER. I was instructed to go to a room and sit on the examination table. I was wearing shorts and my legs were dangling off of the table. While casting my arm, the male worker in a white lab coat was straddling my leg and pressing himself against me. This made me feel very uncomfortable. As I tried pulling back, he came closer. There was no where for my leg to go. I didn't know what to do - I froze and couldn't wait until he was finished casting my arm.

    Thoughts were going through my head - maybe I shouldn't have worn shorts, maybe he dosen't realize what he's doing - maybe I'm too timid. I didn't say anything.

    Twenty years later, I realized that the SOB knew exactly what he was doing. There was only one reason why he would position himself the way he did.

    I think USA Swimming should listen to what former athletes have to say. Sometimes people don't even realize they've been abused until they get older and wiser.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This "secret keeping" in our sport is really a cultural thing that goes well beyond even the sexual abuses. Nobody wants to talk about who their newest recruits are, nobody wants to talk about how much the National Team coaches make, nobody wants to talk about who the new coach of team XYZ is, nobody wants to talk about who's swimming what event, or at which meets. It's all secrets, secrets, secrets. None of the world's major sports enjoy this same level of privacy, and in fact most of them FORCE teams/coaches/athletes to share a lot of this information with the public.

    The sport overall needs a lot more transparency, that will solve many of our loomming challenges; the most important of which is this sexual abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Braden,

    I wholeheartedly agree. It's like we complain that no one cares about us and simultaneously our coaches/athletes show little to no media savvy. The media wants access in exchange for covering. When you give them nothing it is extremely boring.

    I promise you if I ever do something as a coach worth covering you'll have access.

    ReplyDelete