Monday, July 11, 2011

Nighttime Snack: Fearless Shanghai

I will drink the entire ocean just like Thor did for the Ice Kings!

After my first fearless Shanghai prediction was roundly mocked by a bunch of nerds with protractors (Braden Keith and David Reider), you might have thought I would call it quits. Well not only will I continue on but I will also continue to use dead horse nerd analogies that haven't made sense for roughly 25 years. I just don't care. Today's fearless prediction: Alexander Dale Oen is winning the 100 breast.

I have a few rules in life. One of them is that when you are Scandinavian, and you write for a swim blog with a guy who wears a viking helmet as his gimmick, you gotta go with the Norwegian if he's close to the top. So I'm going with Oen. It's actually not that fearless when you consider how good he is, except for the part where Dale Oen has never beaten Kitajima at a big meet. Kosuke, despite getting some stellar coaching out on the west coast, is usually a little more vulnerable in non-olympic years. But he was really fast last summer...crap! Am I doubting myself now? Quick, somebody distract me with Lutefisk! On second thought, never mind. Lutefisk is disgusting but I'm still going with Dale Oen. 

18 comments:

  1. Dale Oen just went a 59 with a goddamn beard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's cause he eats stuff like Lutefisk. See DeSantis, you might have broke a minute in yards if you had just let the Scandinavian in you blossom like me and Dale Oen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am more of a smoked eel kind of guy. Never got into the ammonia flavor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe one day Chris DeSantis will spell my name right. Maybe... And actually I'm with you on this; I too am picking Dale Oen to beat Kitajima for the world title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on this one Chris. Alex will do 0:58,97 in the final at worlds ;)

    He did 0:59,98 last night in the norwegian national champs final, no tapering yet, making him 3. in the world in 2011, but probably fastest untapered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year at this time he was going high 1:00s. I think he will be close to the record.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is the video proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWI_daqlVl0

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the polite applause at the end of the race. Golf crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can consider the time second in the world. Yuta Suenaga retired after Japanese Short Course Nationals in February, and I don't know if he even swam those long course times listed on the world rankings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If we're assuming the Suenaga times are BS, then that still leaves only 5 under 1:00 - Sloudnov, Kitajima, Hansen, Dale Oen, and Tateishi, Tateishi being the only one to do it since the return to textile suits. In the women's 100 backstroke, on the other hand, I think there were only 3 or so (Coughlin, Manadou, Coventry? correct me if I'm wrong) under before the suits, and since returning there are now something like 15. Just an interesting observation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon,

    Where were you last summer? Both Kitajima and Dale Oen have been under 1:00 with the new rules.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, sorry, I mean they both did it before the suits, but since we went back the only one to break through for a best was Tateishi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is quite possible that no stroke was effected more than breaststroke. Breaststroke is the most power stroke. Unfortunately, if you get too powerful you will sink. But having some lift in the suit allowed a lot of the power guys that struggle to maintain a good body position for 100m to stay up there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So who goes under in Shanghai? hopefully Rickard, it's kind of embarassing if he can't get within a second and a half of his WR and medal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the back/breast thing might be more of a male female suit thing. the women's suits still offer tremendous compression compared to pre-2008 suits. men scaled back to just jammers (with compression of the thighs still making a difference compared to old suits, but still between men and women's suits it is a big difference.) the women did not take quite as big a step back in technology as they got to keep compression over the core. that's my two cents.
    i also agree though that breaststroke in tech was it's own scientific phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alex wins it (sub 59), and Kosuke is the only other guy to go under 60 sec.

    That's my prediction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is not nearly as out there as your last Fearless Pick. I kind of like this one. Haven't decided who I will pick, but no heartburn here. And I know that the Swim DR has been singin Dale Oen's praises for some time now.

    I hope Rickard gets back under. He was a bit of a heart-breaker last year.

    ReplyDelete