Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Nighttime Snack- Fearless Shanghai

I must break you
I've got Russia to win the 400 freestyle relay in Shanghai. How does that sound? With the FINA World Aquatic Championships in Swimming less than three weeks away, we here at the Swim Brief want to offer some fearless predictions. Who cares if we're wrong? It's not like it's written down anywhere.

Look, predicting these meets is no fun if you go by the psych sheet, or as I like to call it the "Reider method". It's more fun to make predictions on stuff that has probably a 25% chance of happening. That's just enough to make it possible but not probable. That's why I'm picking Russia to go all the way in the Men's 400 Freestyle relay. Sure, Danila Izotov has looked somewhat shaky this spring, and they have a tendency for inconsistent tapers at big meets like this. Who cares? They have really cool sounding names and maybe that's all you need. It worked for Pieter Van Den Hoogenband.

What are your predictions? Keep sharing them as we continue to offer ours.

3 comments:

  1. I bet you still have nightmares about Jhao Zing and Natalie Coughlin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I love you! It was actually Gao Chang who was a "lock" to win the 100 back in Dubai but somehow miraculously ended up with the bronze. You know, one day DeSantis will stop making fun of my predictions when I defeat him in every prediction contest out there. DeSantis picked Russia. Sorry, Russia, you're screwed.

    Chris, please don't let my trash talk scare you from entering my contest this time around. I really hope to get a bunch of entries and a ton of competition going! Oh and it's "Rieder."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll spell your name however I want to spell it!

    This is the year. I will probably enter your contest seriously and not with silly picks like Russia. C'mon everybody knows that Grechin isn't ready for the primetime. Except me. Wait...

    ReplyDelete